Friday, July 20, 2012

Movie Review: Repeaters: Too Dark

A+ for the acting.
A for dealing with topics that make you uncomfortable.
B for ending.
F for severity.
F for being too depressing.

It has been 5 months since my last movie review.  So here's another - finally :).

In the spirit of the classic, fabulous Groundhogs Day movie - we have the Repeaters.  A movie about 3 twenty-something year olds in drug/alcohol rehab who find themselves having to deal with their vices, demons as they get stuck in a day that repeats itself.  This movie is NOT at the same level as Groundhogs Day.  While I do not recommend the Repeaters - if you are an indie flick junkie like myself and you insist on watching it anyway - be prepared for extreme darkness, violence, sadness.  I would line up a decent comedy to watch right after - such as Groundhogs Day :).  Also, this is not a movie for children!

I will say that I appreciate the acting, camera work, and scenery.  I especially appreciate the conflict, ridiculousness, and dealing with uncomfortable topics.  Some people found this movie confusing - I am happy to report that I had no issues following it whatsoever.  All-in-all, though, meh!  You do not have to go to such extreme for a movie to be good.  You can still touch on abuse, alcoholism, abandonment, etc without going overboard.  Watch Radio Flyer!

Gleenobly's rating: 4/10