Friday, August 17, 2012

Movie Review: The Odd Life of Timothy Green: Great Family Film

A for the cast
A for the filmography
A for the ending
B for the message and family friendly atmosphere
F for the cheesy scenes, squirmish-ness

This movie is about a husband and wife who are not able to have children and suddenly end up "adopting" a 10 year old boy.  Perhaps I am being too cynical?  But parts of this movie were way too cheesy for me.  That aside, it was a great family flick.  Leads me to ask - it is possible to make an awesome family movie that is not cheesy?  I would say yes but I really cannot think of one off the top of my head.

I will say that this movie was better than I thought it would be.  The whole idea of the underdog, being different, "Don't Worry Be Happy," be who you wanna be no matter what people think, overcoming challenges, don't need to keep up with the bragging Jones's - very appealing to me and I love it.  It's not always done in a concise, non cheesy fashion, but in this movie it mostly works out well.  I mean, I did get choked up in parts, and that means something.

I loved the cast.  It's nice to know that even if a movie has stupid parts, you can always fall back on the entertainment value of some of your favorite actors and actresses.  My favorite character was the ultra serious lady who played the Pencil Museum boss.

At least the ending did not stink.  Generally, if the movie is great but the ending is bad, I give it a 1 or 2 out of 10, possibly a 3.  Since this movie was so so and the ending was good, I give it a ...

gleenobly's rating 6/10